Thursday, September 22, 2011

Squirrels

It's no secret that I don't like squirrels. I asked for a gun for the purpose of disposing of the backyard squirrels(which I have yet to do BTW). This morning I went for a walk with some praise music on and did two laps around the school. I sat down on a bench in the semicircle and watched the sun coming up through the trees at the seminary. As I sat spending time with the Lord, I noticed a squirrel carrying around an acorn, looking for a place to bury it. He hopped along and came to the base of this massive oak tree. He looked around, oblivious to my observation of him and dug his little hole. He quickly dropped in this food for later and buried hastily. He scurried back up the tree, off in pursuit of more nuts.
Why am I telling you this? Well, the Lord showed me something through that. It was a presentation of a question more than anything. "Where are you burying your acorns? Are you planting your hopes and dreams at the base of false gods and idols or are you laying your hopes and dreams safely at my feet." It got me thinking about where I place my treasure and the things I find most valuable. Obviously this analogy could be explained many other ways but I wondered what things I was burying at the base of trees. Where is my hope?
My small group is reading Jeremiah right now and the Lord keeps asking Israel and Judah why they bow down to stone and wood. He calls them to return to him. He tells them to repent and ask "Will you return to me?" I want to return to the Lord and his hope. I have, even though I said I wasn't going to, put my hope in my own control of my life. But I have no control. I keep living in the false assumption that I can make things happen and direct my life. I can't. I have spread my heart out so far that I have to run back and forth all day to make sure it is all still intact. I'm reeling it back in. With the help of several friends, I'm turning my heart back to God and allowing him to collect it back together. Oh that I would not be Judah who tries to fool God with her sin.
Isn't it crazy that a squirrel burying an acorn made me think of all of this? My mind is next on the list to reel back in and unspread out Haha. Today, I'm going to enjoy the freedom of grasping to God's hand and letting him lead and show me.
Today is also Gangsta Day with my SLAs. Just for those of you who are interested in Gangsta Annie, here it is. :-)





Have a wonderful, gangsta hat day!

1 comment:

  1. Good point Annie! I have been thinking about this topic too. Love the gangsta! lol Whit's was the best though... I must say!

    ReplyDelete